< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.darklock.com/blog/" >

A Voice in the Dark

In AD 2101 war was beginning. What happen? Someone set up us the bomb! We get signal. What? Main screen turn on. It's you. How are you gentlemen!! All your base are belong to us!! You are on the way to destruction. What you say? You have no chance to survive. Make your time. HA HA HA HA.... Take off every 'Zig' You know what you doing! Move 'Zig' For great justice.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Crap Comix: The Next Generation

I've had a few votes from people I trust that say I should run with the new CC:TNG concept, so I'm going to add a little more information here.

CC:TNG is going in a slightly different direction than the original Crap Comix. Originally, every strip was pretty isolated, and said something basic and simple about skating or video games. As the strip went on, however, another style began to emerge: extended storylines involving figures from popular culture. (In retrospect, I talked an awful lot about Samuel L. Jackson's dick.) So I'm going to leverage that more traditional aspect of comicdom in the new strips.

I'm still wrestling with the concept of scheduling. It's certainly valuable to have a defined day when new strips come out, but I'm a naturally sporadic sort of person. Most weeks, I'll do nothing, and then one week I'll sit down and do thirty strips. During the first three days of Crap Comix, I cranked out thirty-five strips, and then I did nothing for three weeks. 269 comics in just short of two years comes out to between two and three a week, on the average, though... so I'm wondering whether I could handle a daily strip through the week.

If I let my mind run away with this, I have this dumb fantasy that people will just love my web comic and everyone will want to visit it. So I have a basic concept of having site registration, and people who register for free get to see the strip a couple days in advance; those who subscribe for some small recurring fee would get to see it a little farther in advance. This is based on some silly idea that maybe I could get 6,000 subscribers at $1 a month, which would be enough for me to work on comics full time.

Well... not really. I'd actually work on comics about the same amount of time, but I'd be able to work on other things a lot more of the time. I have some ideas about how to revolutionise the IT industry, but without both the funding and the time, I haven't been able to move forward with them. Selling my time by the hour as a contractor doesn't give me both pieces of the puzzle, and neither does using my time without compensation as an innovator. What I need is something I can do to support myself at a comfortable enough level to finance innovation, without using too much time out of my day. The comic might be an avenue for that, but probably not. The web is full of free comics, why would anyone pay $1 a month for mine? Just to see it a couple days early?

The question of whether to continue selling one's time is a tough one, and we all have to answer it at some point. It's more productive to sell the fruits of one's labor than the labor itself. But the problematic part of the question is, what fruits will people want to buy?

I'm rambling. I should just go draw a comic.

0 Comments:

<< Home